Introducing Cosplayer of the Week: ArcaneKani
1) What got you into cosplaying?
My friend approached me about dressing up for a convention (Megacon 2006). I had vaguely heard of conventions, and he wanted me to be Barrett for their FFVII group. I kinda’ fell in love from there.
2) What makes you want to cosplay a character?
Generally my interest in the character. Once, I cosplayed a character for the sake of a group with little background of the character and I felt like I was missing out on a lot.
3) What was your most embarrassing cosplay moment?
This ties into #2. I’d say it would be missing a lot of the references fans of the series were making towards me. I found it hard to react and felt like I let the fans down.
4) What is your favorite part about going to cons?
Hanging out with all my buddies that I don’t get to see very often. I don’t particularly care about contests or the like
5) How does cosplaying make you feel?
I’m sort of indifferent on the matter. It’s fun, no doubt, but it’s not something I’m overly passionate about like a lot of my friends.
6) Have you’ve ever worn or will ever considering wearing makeup for a cosplay? Why or why not?
I’m not opposed to the idea of makeup. Whatever it takes to get the character down, ya’ know? I have very, very little shame left when it comes to such things, so I don’t mind putting myself out there to go the length if necessary.
7) Which of your costumes got the best reactions at a con?
Well, Hancock is generally well received; however, once I put on that plain white towel with a bottle of Old Spice it all changed. I can’t get away from the Old Spice guy now, even if it’s just me putting on a towel coming from the pool.
8) What is your favorite part about cosplaying?
That’s kind of a toss up. If I’m cosplaying a character I really like that’s usually good enough for me. It’s really nice to get a reaction from the fans, though… so that’s always an added bonus.
9) As a male cosplayer, do you feel like your costumes are judge on a different level compared to female cosplayers.
I would imagine so. It always seems like women are judged more off costume construction and men on prop construction. Then again, I don’t participate in costume contests because I don’t really care that much, so that kinda’ keeps me from the judging eye for the most part.
10) Why do you cosplay? Everyone has a reason, what is yours?
I cosplay because it’s fun. All cosplayers are attention whores to some degree or another, so I can’t say I don’t enjoy getting my picture taken or what not. It’s just a good time to get together with friends and most like-minded individuals can cut loose for a weekend
lololol I took that picture of Kevin in the 300 costume.